FAA ATP for Canadian Pilots

Step-by-step guide

Procedure for Canadian ATP pilots

Great news for all Canadian ATP. Due to Canada and USA have bilateral agreement about pilot’s license converting from FAA to TCCA and from TCCA to FAA, we can offer you great shortcut on your way to FAA ATP license. This way is different from standard procedure of getting ATP for foreign pilots.


According AC 61-135A, all Canadian ATP pilots can convert their TCCA ATP license to FAA ATP license ONLY taking ATP-CTP course and taking special ACP knowledge test.


We decided to give you full qoute from regulations to be clear:


“ATP Certificate. Appendix 1, Table 3 or 8, as appropriate, list the conditions for an ATP conversion.


(1) Conversion. For a TCCA ATP License (ATPL) holder to convert his or her ATPL to an FAA ATP Certificate with any of the following rating(s) (i.e., ASEL, AMEL, ASES, AMES, or Rotorcraft–Helicopter) the applicant must:

  • (a) Be at least 23 years of age. (b) Hold at least an FAA third-class medical certificate.
  • (c) Hold a TCCA ATP license with AMEL, AMES, or Helicopter ratings.
  • (d) Pass the FAA Airline Transport Pilot Airplane Canadian Conversion (single-engine or multiengine, as appropriate) or the Airline Transport Pilot Helicopter Canadian Conversion (as appropriate) knowledge test. The appropriate test codes can be found in the FAA Par 9 Page 9 5/15/15 AC 61-135A Airman Knowledge Testing Matrix located at: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf.
  • (e) Be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language. The TCCA pilot license must contain an English proficiency endorsement. Detailed information pertaining to English language skill standards can be found in AC 60-28.
  • (f) An applicant for an FAA ATP Certificate with a Rotorcraft–Helicopter rating must provide evidence of at least 1,200 hours of total time as pilot (in any aircraft) that includes at least: 1. 500 hours of cross-country flight time (in any aircraft);
    • 100 hours of night flight time (in any aircraft), of which 15 hours are in helicopters;
    • 200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a PIC or second in command (SIC) performing the duties of PIC under the supervision of a PIC, or any combination thereof; and
    • 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) (in any aircraft), of which at least 50 hours are obtained in flight (in any aircraft) with at least 25 hours in helicopters as PIC or SIC performing the duties of a PIC under the supervision of a PIC, or any combination thereof.
  • (g) The following subparagraphs are applicable to applicants seeking an FAA ATP Certificate:
    • 1. No additional practical test is required.
    • 2. TCCA does not issue ATP licenses with single-engine ratings. An FAA ATP Certificate with an ASEL or ASES rating can be issued to an applicant, at the time of application, if evidence is provided that the minimum Landplane and/or Seaplane Rating Eligibility Requirements from Appendix 1, Table 3 have been met.
    • 3. Only the knowledge tests that are named specifically as Canadian Conversion are authorized to be utilized for the conversion of a TCCA license to an FAA certificate. These tests have been specifically designed to test the differences between the TCCA and FAA rules. Other versions (such as full versions) of knowledge tests for the certificate or rating sought are not authorized for use by an airman converting a TCCA license to an FAA certificate. ASIs, ASTs, or DPEs processing the conversion application must reference the testing matrix shown in subparagraph 9c(1)(d) to determine which test code corresponds to a Canadian Conversion knowledge test.
    • 4. An applicant for an FAA ATP Certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating after July 31, 2014 must present a graduation certificate from an authorized training provider for the ATP CTP at the time of application for the appropriate FAA ATP knowledge test. The knowledge test will consist of air law and air carrier operations Par 9 Page 10 5/15/15 AC 61-135A questions including communications, checklist philosophy, operational control, minimum equipment list (MEL)/configuration deviation list (CDL), ground operations, turbine engines, transport-category aircraft performance, automation, flightpath warning systems, leadership, professional development, and safety culture. Refer to AC 61-138 for more information.
    • 5. All Airline Transport Pilot Canadian Conversion Airplane airman knowledge tests (test code “ACP”) that were successfully passed prior to August 1, 2014 and are valid (i.e., have not expired) can be used by a TCCA ATP license holder applying for an FAA ATP Certificate with an airplane category and a multiengine class rating. ACP Knowledge Test Reports are valid for 24 calendar-months from the date of the successful completion of the knowledge test (refer to § 61.39(a)(1)(i)). The applicant need not obtain an ATP CTP graduation certificate if the applicant passed the ACP knowledge test prior to August 1, 2014 and the Knowledge Test Report is still valid (i.e., has not expired).
    • 6. A TCCA ATP AMEL license holder who has not received a graduation certificate from an authorized training provider for the ATP CTP may be issued an FAA commercial pilot AMEL certificate and/or an instrument rating (airplane). The applicant would need to comply with the requirements found in subparagraph 9b (for the commercial certificate) and/or subparagraph 9e (for the instrument rating). These requirements include passing the knowledge test(s) associated with that certificate and/or rating.
Early Bird Price – $500 OFF! 

Special Early Bird Price – $3,799.00 to all students who pay for their 2023 class by the end of this year.  Our course dates are published on our website.

Download AC 61-135A

You can download Advisory Circular 61-135A and read carefully whole procedure and steps. But we already did it for you and you can see the main steps on this page.

Enrollment application

You can download enrollment application for your personal ATP training with ATP.Academy

Instruction for TSA application

You can download our instruction for TSA application for foreign pilots. Be aware that initial process can take up to 8 weeks.

Still have questions?

Andrey Borisevich, Chief Instructor
Call us: (954) 399-6911
Email us: info@flydreams.us

Steps to receive FAA ATP License
based on Canadian TCCA CPL or ATP License


Check eligibility requirements

Check eligibility requirements according part 61.153 and aeronautical experience according part 61.159.


Request Letter of Verification

Make sure you have enough time becasue verification process can take up to 90 days!


Obtain TSA permissions, fingerprints

When you have US visa, immediately apply for TSA approval. Use our instruction for ATP-CTP. You need TSA for each course (ATP ME or A320 type)!


ATP-CTP Program

The ATP-CTP course is a mandatory pre-requisite in order to take the ATP written exam. ATP-CTP course include 30 hours of ground school and 10 hours of sim training.


ATP Written Test

ATP ACP Multi engine written test (Special Edition) includes 60 questions and you have 2.5 hours for pass this test. The minimum score is 70%.

That’s it. After passing the written test – you can apply for FAA ATP license. Our personnel can help you to arrange meeting with DPE and finishing paperwork.


1. What are the career prospects for an Australian in an American airline company?

Getting your ATP license provides a straight path to charter operators, because it’s much easier to get a job from part 135 charter operators (business aviation) and cargo airlines. Some Miami cargo companies hire Australian pilots.

2. How much to get FAA ATP based on my ICAO ATP?

The total price is combined from the ATP-CTP course cost + cost of your ATP course and checkride. As you can see from this page you have a choice between "non-type ATP" and "ATP + type rating". The approximate price depending on your personal case will be:  

  1. NON-type ATP: $3,999 (ATP-CTP) + $175 (written test) + $4,000 (8 hours of ME training on BE76) + $1,000 (checkride  and aircraft rental) = $9,174
  2. ATP with Type-rating A320 (initial): $3,999 (ATP-CTP) + $175 (written test) + $15,000 (A320 Initial + checkride) = $19,174
  3. ATP with Type-rating A320 (reduced, if you have A320 in ICAO license): $3,999 (ATP-CTP) + $175 (written test) + $8,500 (A320 Reduced + checkride) = $12,674
  You can check our Packages to get a better price! P.S. Prices are subject to change! Verify current prices with our representative.

3. I currently have a EASA CPL ME IR ATPL frozen license. I’m interested in converting my license in FAA.

There are no direct converting from EASA CPL to FAA CPL. You have 2 options, depending on the number of flight hours you have now:

  1. You can convert your EASA CPL to FAA PPL and then you need to add Instrument rating (training + written test + Checkride) and CPL (ME or SE or Both) - the same procedure (training + written test + Checkride). You can find more info about validation here: http://skyeagle.aero/add_services/validation_faa/ And all other courses (Instrument rating and Commercial license) available at SkyEagle Aviation Academy. And here: http://skyeagle.aero/2017/05/04/faq-for-foreign-atp-pilots/
  1. If you qualified for FAA ATP (more than 1500 hours total and meet other requirements) then you have another option - straight to FAA ATPL.
Information about this option is here: https://atp.academy/atp/  

4. How to get FAA ATP if I already have ICAO ATP?

You have 2 options here:

If you still have questions - send us email info@flydreams.us.

5. Why do I need to take training for type rating if I already have type rating in my ICAO license?

This is a very common question. But the truth is - you really need type rating to get your FAA license with type even if you are Captain with XXXX thousand hours on this type. The reason for that - your FAA license is independent license of the United States of America and you need to comply with FAA regulations. Not your local regulations. It means that you need to take some training on the same type before checkride. Most of the schools (and ATP.Academy also) can offer you Reduced Program, which means you don't need to go over again as Initial training. You just need 4-8 hours of SIM training and some ground school before your checkride. Also, be aware that your FAA checkride will be absolutely the same and full as normal checkride for initial type rating even if you have XXX thousand hours on type.

6. What is the TSA? Why is it necessary to get TSA approval and how do I get it?

TSA – Transportation Security Administration. These are the same people who carry out passenger screening at US airports, for example. They also check and screen foreign students pilots and then approve them for flight training. After 9/11, all foreign students applying for a license from an FAA pilot are required to obtain a training permit from the TSA.  This is to prevent another catastrophe similar to 9/11.  All of the hijackers on 9/11 received flight training in the US to some extent. You must visit https://www.fts.tsa.dhs.gov/, to register and apply for training at a specific educational institution. IMPORTANT: When submitting an application, you must know exactly which flight school you will train at because you choose a service provider. If after the confirmation of TSA you decide to change the school – you will have to file a new application and pay a fee for the new ($130 for each application). If you apply for ATP-CTP and Type Rating, there will be two applications. After the TSA examines your application and they can confirm everything you will need to be fingerprinted. They can be handed in either with the police or with a special TSA agent.  A list of which can be found on the website above. We provide our own agent for the cost of $90 and he does everything in one day.

  1. The TSA application process can take 6-8 weeks. You may view your application progression on the homepage of https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/ and see quickly you may be approved. Keep this in mind when planning the start of your training, because if you signed up for ATP-CTP and you decided to apply for TSA 10 days before the start of the course, there is a considerable risk that you will be unable to fly for a few weeks. Easily avoidable if there is some preparation! NOTE: you can not start SIM training without TSA approval but you can take ground school.
  2. There are often problems with foreign last times. Sometimes they want the last name to be both in the pilot’s certificate and in the “Middle Name” field. Sometimes they want the name and last name to be together in the same “First Name” field. Have this in mind – how you wrote your name with the TSA will follow you everywhere; in a medical certificate, in a pilot certificate, in the results of a written test, in the FAA database, and so on. You must be careful with how you present your name because Americans attach great importance to bureaucracy. We know cases when the examiner refused to take exams because the medical certificate was written with a middle name, and the written exam did not have the middle name. If two “people” on paper do not coincide, then one paper is not valid and the examination can not be accepted (well, such logic is with the examiner).
  3. Sometimes fingerprinting takes more than 1-2 days. Make sure you have 2-3 days between arriving in the US and starting your ATP program.

7. What is the Letter of Verification?

If you have a foreign (non-FAA) license, and you are meet all part 61 requirements to get FAA ATP based on the foreign license, you need to prove that your license is valid, not expired, not revoked, etc. The official way how to do that - request a Letter of Verification from FAA authority. FAA will request this confirmation from your local CAA authority. The process itself can take up to 90 days and you need a Letter of Verification before your ATP checkride or ATP + type rating checkride.

8. How to validate my ICAO license?

You can find the best answer on government FAA-portal: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/ Pay special attention that this process can take up 90 days!

Enrollment Form